douglasthornley71

reading4fun

I love books I can't get enough. I like to read, write about, shop for and talk about books.

Leaving Church

Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape - Jenna Miscavige Hill, Sandy Rustin, Lisa Pulitzer

BEYOND BELIEF

"BEYOND BELIEF: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape" was a completely captivating and informative and told the story with compassion. The author Jenna MisCavige Hill is the niece of Scientology's Chairman of the Board or C.O.B. David MisCavige. The book revealed the life inside one of most notorious churches and how it goes about keeping the members in line. Jenna's uncle David starts off as a doting father figure and winds up in the end a maniacal power hungry dictator that she must flee. The "Sea Org" is the management of Scientology and has had children as young as six years old sign a Billion year contract of servitude to the Sea Org. The things Jenna and her friends were subjected to were immoral and criminal, such as working children as young as six for up to twelve hours a day and providing no schooling for them. Punishment included cleaning toilets with a toothbrush, heavy manual labor and running everywhere they went. When the rules were changed and Sea Org personnel could not have children, women were harassed into getting abortions or being expelled from the church and never allowed to see their loved ones still in. This is a cautionary tale that everyone should take note of. I am in awe of Jenna and what she endured and overcame to be an inspiration to many, many others.